Are you ever taken surprise by your significant others’ sudden acquisition of some previously unknown favorite?
It seems to me like there is something missing in the kitchen now, when I can’t find a bottle of Sriracha in the kitchen; the first time I ever heard of this stuff was from the Oatmeal, who seems to have an unnatural love for the stuff. In fact, I actually thought it was fictional! But it turns out that it’s quite real and readily available on grocery shelves – has to be, if I’m going to see it in North Dakota.
I don’t know why she first bought it, and don’t remember exactly when anymore, but now it seems as though Mme. Ross finds a reason to put Sriracha on everything, and my bottle of Frank’s Red Hot sauce tends to languish in the cupboard (I don’t really put that on everything!) So dear Sriracha: where do you hide your crack, and how many armed guards do you employ to protect it from the general population? My wife puts that stuff on mac and cheese, on ramen, on other stuff – where it took us like six months to get through a bottle of Frank’s, it took her less than a month to do a similar-sized bottle of Sriracha on her own . . . what gives?
A Google search for “Sriracha rehab” turns up this page on Bon Appetit called 25 Ways to use Sriracha, including Sriracha fudge pickles and bloody marys. Then there’s this page on Chow.com called 50 Things to Do with Sriracha. Need pretzel dip? Mix it with strawberry jam. Mix it with ketchup for your burger and fries. Add it to chocolate cake batter.
Okay, I actually googled “good things about Sriracha”. It turns out Mme Ross is the only one who can’t cook without it anymore; if it wasn’t for her, I think I might have missed the bus altogether!
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
So far, 36 other bloggers have cooked something up for today’s prompt:
- Simple Dublin Coddle | Exploratorius
- The perfect mixture | A Teacher’s Blog
- Keep Me Out of the Kitchen | Under the Monkey Tree
- Lazy Mom’s Stuffed Peppers – It’s All About the Soy Sauce | The Pinterested Parent
- Painting Beaks on Marzipan Chickens! Aberystwyth Blogs… | alienorajt
- The Kitchen Witches Creed | My Little Avalon
- Can’t Cook Without It: A Haiku; Sunday, February 9, 2014 | LisaRosier.com
- DP Daily Prompt: Ingredients | Sabethville
- Ingredient? | Hope* the happy hugger
- Daily Prompt: Ingredients | A Room of One’s Own
- Daily Prompt: Ingredients | The Wandering Poet
- Nuking 500* | thoughtsofrkh
- http://dailypost.wordpress.com/2014/02/09/daily-prompt-ingredients/ | preethikarthik06
- Daily Prompt: Ingredients | Basically Beyond Basic
- Hunter | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Hunger games (in colour) | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Oh sugar! | Perspectives on life, universe and everything
- Vampires worst nightmare… | My Weigh To Lose
- What is cooking?? | Phelio a Random Post a Day
- Jumpstart Your Creative Mojo | Pairings :: Art + What Goes With It
- Daily Prompt: Ingredients | A Day In The Life
- Daily Prompt: Ingredients | thoughts and entanglements
- SPICY Sunday
- If You Don’t Have Bacon Grease, Then You Ain’t Cooking! | meanderedwanderings
- Kitchen | Purple Rosemary
- Daily Prompt: Ingredients | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Daily Prompt: Ingredients | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- My Must Have | Flowers and Breezes
- Secret Ingredient | U Be Cute – Follow the child inside of you…
- that’s amore | peacefulblessedstar
- MORNING IN THE KITCHEN | SERENDIPITY
- Suicide no. 24: The Embittered Housewife | derekalanwilkinson
- Bialetti! Gotta’ have it/Daily Prompt | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- I Have No Time, My Ass! How To Cook Healthy While Getting Ready To Go Out. | The Playground
- I Can’t Live Without You! « One Crazy Mom
- The Boots’ Redemption | The Jittery Goat