Do – and why do – you consider yourself a city or country person?
Yesterday I was nominated for two Liebster awards by fellow bloggers – and surprise! Today it happened again! It’s raining Liebsters, hallelujah!
My policy on awards is complicated and conflicted, like a microwave bean burrito (the ones in the green wrappers) that you can’t get to heat up just right. I’m glad to get them, and so much gladder for the readers and fellow bloggers who bestow upon me the honor. And what I really want to do is support the effort the awards are making – to help my readers get to know me, to provide some interesting reading, and to support the community.
To achieve those ends and to honor the awards and the awesome bloggers who gave them, I will pick a Liebster question a day until I get through and / or skip them all. I’ll write a post on that question, and in some cases I may be lucky enough to get in a cross-post with the Daily Post prompt. Today’s question comes from Sheri Edwards at Pause 2 Play.
I grew up in the suburban jungle: Ferndale, Michigan, or just outside of Detroit. After having seen a few other states, I can say with confidence that no two places are exactly the same and so when I moved to Bismarck I found myself in a city that covered eight times the space of my hometown, and yet it sports that suburban feel throughout most of it. The outlying areas have a more rural chic, being large swatches of farmland where they grow crops like corn, sunflowers, soybeans, etc.
The suburbs, outlying communities with names like Lincoln and Linton, are big-house, big-plot-type developments full of new construction and are growing in popularity as the state attracts new blood from the opportunity-poor parts of America; beyond those, it’s Midwest country, baby. Twenty minutes out on highway 10 or I-94 East get you to Sterling, where they produce our favorite milk, the organic and all natural Bessie’s Best. Another twenty minutes gets you to Steele, which is little more than a truck stop and a crossroads with a handful of streets.
Mme. Ross and I lived in Steele when we were married, and dealt with it as best we could. The truckstop had really good pizza, hot or take-and-bake. There was an AMVETS with good beer and burgers. We had a grocery store, a park, a church, and a handful of other businesses and that was pretty much it. I could attribute the move back to Bismarck to my torturous forty-minute drive to and from work, fighting narcolepsy the whole way. I could say we wanted to be closer (geographically) to friends and family, too, but to be honest the big deal breaker was that it was just too inconvenient to live forty miles away from everything we didn’t have – like a hospital.
Here’s a little secret: Mme. Ross and I love Target – with a capital “L” – Kohls, Old Navy, Famous Dave’s, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, Little Caesars, Papa Murphy’s, the zoo, the river . . . we needed to be conveniently close to these things, even though my heart is in nature – be it the farm, the woods, and of course the beach. I’m a little bit Donnie and a little bit Marie, and not nearly as confused as that might sound.
The world is a miraculous place, and so is civilization. Where I’m happiest, I think, is an admixture of both to a satisfying degree. Being from Detroit, it’s almost painful to not be within shouting distance of an auto mechanic, and yet I love being able to see all the way to the horizon; plus, there’s more stars here.
On the Mandan side of the river, where we now live, the West begins. It has a more distinct rural flavor than Bismarck, and yet has much of what we need close at hand – with Bismarck being just ten minutes’ drive away. Heck, I could run there! And the hills, boy – if anyone tells you North Dakota’s flat then they are just plain crazy, I can’t wait to go running in spring, with all the hills around town.
So: give me some city, give me some nature, and give me some waves to surf. That’s where I want to end up… just don’t give me a hard time if I get too distracted to blog daily!
How about you – are you city or country, and why?
For what it’s worth, that’s also where I would like to be on day 211 this year, which is July 30th. If life smiles on us, Clan Ross will be on a Pacific Northwest impromptu tour and I will go surfing!
That last portion of this post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
97 others had something to say:
- Timeline Of The Far Future | AS I PLEASE
- Story Throw Up | Lewis Cave
- On July 30th I’ll Be Drawing A Blank | The Jittery Goat
- DP Daily Prompt: Predictions | Sabethville
- perhaps one out of | y
- future | yi-ching lin photography
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Thoughts of an INFP
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- 254. July 30, 2014 | Barely Right of Center
- Fate | Active Army Wife
- july 30, 2014 | Life Love Lily
- The thing I would like to do on day 211: Thanks to Allah | Write for learning
- Predictions – A Daily Prompt Post | My Little Avalon
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Willow Blackbird
- Just messing about on the river: Daily prompt | alienorajt
- July 30th, 2014 « My journey to qualify for the Boston Marathon…and everything in between…
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | A Day In The Life
- After 211 days… | Read Me
- What the Heck Could I Doing On July 30th 2014 | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- Der, Die, Das…Was? | Mishe en Place
- The Rock | L5GN
- Give Me A Break | Wanderlein
- A Bright Future | A mom’s blog
- Developing Prediction Senses | Ako Si Ehm Blog
- “Predictions” | Relax
- Hump Day, Metathesis, and Discipleship | meanderedwanderings
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Finding Life
- As I look into the Crystal Ball | Unlocking The Inner Creative
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Basically Beyond Basic
- The business of writing | Kate Murray
- Daily Prompt: Through the Looking | One Starving Activist
- Will They Come True? | Flowers and Breezes
- Predictions | Geek Ergo Sum
- Predictions: July 30th | A Patchwork Life
- In the Future | One Crazy Mom
- Guest Blog Post by Precious and Coco (Kitty Cats): How To Be The Perfect Cat Person
- 211/365 | The Colours of Confetti
- of unwanted complications « Anawnimiss
- Chasing Dreams | Real Life Co.
- I can predict the future! | Love.Books.Coffee.
- The Future | The Land Slide Photography
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Under the Monkey Tree
- Daily Prompt: Predictions – Hoping for major advances in the HIV field while saying goodbye to Australia « psychologistmimi
- Pee Here Now Part 2/Daily Prompt | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Daily Prompt: Predictions/Future | A Taste of Morning
- Daily Prompt: Life on day 211 | Life’s So Sweet
- Fearless In 2014: Fight Stagnancy | A Sober Head Full Of Confusion
- Daily Prompt: Predictions |
- A Summer Daydream on a Cold Winter Day | Bright Tuesday
- DP: Predictions for 30 July 2014 | The Uncustomary Housewife
- Predictions – July 30th | Ana Linden
- Daily Prompt | perksofacharlie
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Kauniiksi katsottu – Seen as Beautiful
- Other days it’s the weighted straight-jacket pulling you under… | thoughtsofrkh
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | The Wandering Poet
- Dreaming July 30th, 2014 | sixty, single and surviving
- S. Thomas Summers | Writing Tip: And Let Us Take the Deep Breath and Plunge into Words
- Oh, To Be There | by LRose
- I Didn’t Just Wake Up This Morning with a Craving
- Predicting the future? Ha. | Emotional Fitness
- BREATHLESS BALLET | hastywords
- Day 44: A Prediction | Thoughts Less Traveled
- My Little Daydream | Wake Up Your Luck
- Predictions | hitting a brick wall
- Daily Prompt: Predictions / Future | Artful Homesteader
- Daily Prompt: Predictions » My Life, My Way, My Words
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Nicole Sloan’s Writing
- Daily Prompt: Future | Occasional Stuff
- Daily Prompt: Predictions/The Future | Picayune Pieces
- Daily Prompt: Being Wishful! | All Things Cute and Beautiful
- Daily Prompt Challenge ~ “Future” | soletusknow
- That Day Of Future Memories | Edward Hotspur
- The Future Unseen | Words in Silver
- Day Twenty: Add a new page | Occasional Stuff
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | niennie
- Day 211 | VernetteOutLoud
- Looking into the future | Willow’s Corner
- Predictions – Passionately Bored
- I Will Find You | martha0stout
- What Does Our Future Hold… | The Christian Gazette
- Predictions | Amoeba Kat Musings
- Predictions: Phil Style | 365 Days of Thank You
- Well, If the Sow-bugs don’t Eat All My Potatoes, I’ll be in Denver | My Author-itis
- Lauren Out Loud
- Back From the Motherland | djgarcia94
- Predicting What Our Life Will Look Like In 189 Days | A New Life In India
- Rollercoaster Lunch | Buzzy Beez Giftz
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Polyprotic Amory
- The Truth About Cuddling | Wiley’s Wisdom
- Daily prompt: Still picking daisies | helen meikle’s scribblefest
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | A Clueless Monkey’s Thoughts
- The Future I Dream Of… | Talia’s Writing Nook
- Cat Hats for Everyone | field of thorns
- Daily Prompt: Predictions | Nola Roots, Texas Heart
- Good news for parents | Parents Are People Too