So right now, I’m donating plasma. I’m saving up for a new pair of work boots, which aren’t cheap! In other words, for the next forty minutes I am chained to this chaise by several feet of plastic tubing; but that doesn’t mean that I can’t just get up and leave or something if I were so inclined. I’m free to leave.
Speaking of freedom – given the fantastic amount of news coverage over the past few years of the so-called “Arab Spring“, it’s amazing that I don’t see more articles about just how good we have it. The newest thing, of course, is the crap going on in Syria, and the discussion over whether or not the American government/military should get involved. I honestly think we should do something in a very efficient way; we don’t need to send half the military back over there, and we don’t need to throw a ton of taxpayers’ money at it.
But what I really think – I sit back and think, thank Bob we’re not them. Is that selfish? Self-centered? I don’t know. Probably not. But I feel bad for them – not just the Syrians, but all who are oppressed, living life in a heavily restricted society; it gives fresh and poignant meaning to the freedom we Americans are raised to laud. Those songs we grow up singing –
Long may our land be bright | with freedom’s holy light | from every mountainside | let freedom ring. . .
The land of the free | and the home of the brave.
They’re not just paying lip service to the nation – they’re all about our greatest values. Now I can’t imagine what the anthems of the Middle East sound like, but I wonder if there’s any mention of freedom in the patriotic tunes of Egypt or Syria? And of course, the Middle East isn’t the only region in the world that doesn’t fully enjoy the luxury of Western-style freedom – there’s military dictatorships in Africa too, and don’t even get me started on North Korea.
If it sounds like I’m naïve, then I probably am. I’m willing to admit it.
Long story short – the freedom we enjoy in the Western world – to say what we like, write what we like, do what we like within reason – that’s the one luxury that I can not live without, and in fact I would rather come to a violent end fighting to retain or regain said freedom than to live under the thumb of an oppressive regime, thereby standing as an example of its tolerability.
They may be watching us, but at least we are still free.
This post was prompted by today’s Daily Post prompt.
- Daily Post 9/7 (thecrackedlensblog.wordpress.com)
- The Man Who Had Everything | Godrick Gnomish
- Luxe | The Magic Black Book
- Luxury? Fresh Coffee! | The Ambitious Drifter
- A luxury to treasure | storyofmylife1993
- Daily Prompt: Luxury, A Poem « Vicariously Poetic
- Ah, Luxury | tuckedintoacorner
- Duncan the Sushi Roll #9 | Neva Samaki
- S. Thomas Summers | Daily Prompt: Luxurious
- I can temporarily live without… | Sue’s Trifles
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious Air Conditioning | Under the Monkey Tree
- The gems of life | Life & Times
- Men, men and more men! Daily Prompt | alienorajt
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | Photos and writings
- Don’t Take My Loom | The Jittery Goat
- the UNCATEGORISED | Daily Prompt: Luxurious | the TRASH BASH
- A luxury I can’t live without (with a sprinkling of nostalgia) | nasehamushtaq.
- To be loved-Biggest luxury | મન ની વાત
- Suicide no. 8: Hope Grimwald | derekalanwilkinson
- Luxurious: Adam & Eve – The Happy Couple | Khana’s Web
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious ‘Ensuite’ is a must-have | littlegirlstory
- Daily Prompt: Luxury | Books, Music, Photography & Movies : my best friends
- Luxurious | Geek Ergo Sum
- Gotta Ride? | Cowgirl Up!
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Can you Spot the Luxury in This Picture? | gorgeous little thieves
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | My Atheist Blog
- Luxurious wine – Le luxe du vin | Icezine
- LUXURY | dandelionsinwind
- My BED. | Going New Places!
- Luxury by any other name… « RPMAS
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | flow of my soul
- I Only need two really | tornin2’s Blog
- Daily Prompt: How do I live without you? My Luxury | M. L. Trefry
- Luxury | Conversations
- Vampire Maman
- Luxuries, who needs ‘em? | A mom’s blog
- A Day in the Life of our Fridge | A Day in the Life
- Luxury | Flowers and Breezes
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | genieve celada | photography
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious – simple yet traditional combination | DCMontreal
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious – Sunny, bright, warm | SERENDIPITY
- Laughter is NOT a Luxury | Spirit Lights The Way
- No TP? No Way! | Spirit Lights The Way
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious | The Daily Post | The Blogging Path
- Daily Prompt: Luxurious » My Life, My Way, My Words
- Can’t Live Without… | Live Life Tr3mendously
- A Magical Afternoon: DP | BLUE BEAD PUBLICATIONS
- Can’t live without you… | Nekoruchii: Life of a Commoner
- Daily Prompt : Dark circles be gone!! | Valley Girl Gone Country
- Luxurious | The Nameless One
- Luxurious: Being Able to Take Everything for Granted | TallFakeBlonde
- The Daily Post challenge. | Crossroads
- I’ll Give It To You Straight | Molly Greye
- Luxuries and Values | readingwithafeather
- Luxury of having friends- a fictional story | Passionate Ambika
- Luxurious | Chronicles of a Public Transit User
- A simple luxurious choice | Le Drake Noir
- Daily Prompt; Luxurious | terry1954
- Luxury | Mareship
- HOT BATHS- great days are made of these | Hellen Masido
- Technology, I need you | My Year of New Beginnings
- September 7th: “Luxury” | Kialtho Does Blogging
- Define luxury | Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: Without You | One Starving Activist
- never ever no way give up again!!!!! | The Seminary of Praying Mantis