Fellow blogger Maggie asked me a simple question with terrible implications: what would I do if I could live a day without consequences?
Holy smokes – the possibilities! Maybe if I was an evil mastermind I would do something truly dastardly: I would steal the Hope Diamond and resell it on the black market the same day, no consequences. I’m not that guy though, and even if I were I don’t have the correct connections.
Plus, I have this weird block about doing dastardly things – it just doesn’t feel right, consequences or no. But what do you do if there aren’t any consequences? Is there anything that doesn’t make me feel like I’m breaking the rules, thereby being dastardly?
Perhaps I could bungee jump off the Statue of Liberty – except I don’t like the idea of falling out of a chair, much less from the top of the She-Colossus of Manhattan. Scratch that.
I’m not sure I could live without consequences, not even for a day – because the question is, could I live with myself after that day? Even if that day’s actions were completely consequence-free. . . well, speaking of the nature of consequences – maybe I’d just go surfing.
Think about this: I have no clue how to surf. I’ve never surfed before, but I do want to learn, and to do it. From what I understand, it’s rare to even be able to stand on the board competently without trying and practicing a lot. So why not have a day where I can learn to surf without looking like a complete tool, without falling down, injuring myself, drowning, getting attacked by sharks, busting my head on a coral reef, or potentially turning everyone off with my whoops and hollers when I manage to stay up for just five seconds? I think that would be pretty sweet.
After my victory dance at the end of the day, when I’ve pretty much surfed my awesome little heart out, we’ll hang out at a huge bonfire, roast a pig, watch some dudes juggle some fire sticks, hassle some grass skirts, and then maybe I’ll go rob a Chase bank or something.
. . . and if you know me for realz, you know I will have fallen asleep sometime during dinner, because I’m narcoleptic and most of that last part will not happen.
But it’s fun to rise to the challenge of living a day without consequences.
What would you do?
This post was prompted by Maggiemay at Everyday Adventures.
If you have a prompt that you think would be interesting, or that you think I might make interesting, drop me a comment!
- Surfing Gaza’s Waves – Palestine (barakabits.com)
- Henderson Park Inn Names Ride On Surfing School ‘Best School for Destin Surfing’ (prweb.com)
- Did you know? That we are a inclusive surf school and always have been (bloggsd.com)
- Extreme Sports and Insurance (insureyes.com)
- Children of the Revolution (thesprezzaturist.me)
- A wave of respect; a surfer’s take on Mother Nature (randomcontentblog.wordpress.com)
- Missed in History: The Hope Diamond, Part 1 (blogs.howstuffworks.com)
- Missed in History: The Hope Diamond, Part 2 (blogs.howstuffworks.com)
- Mystery of the Hope Diamond (kssmew.wordpress.com)
- Learn to Surf (surfingmadonnaorgnewsmyrna.wordpress.com)